Pancetta Mac & Cheese // GoodFood
Who doesn't love Mac & Cheese?!! ... Okay, confession - me... but when I was young! I had a really strange palette and was probably one of a handful of kids that didn't like KD.
Anyways, I am obsessed with anything involving cheese now, especially this recipe I got from GOODFOOD!
I'm a huge fan of cauliflower too, but had never tried it in a Mac & Cheese recipe so logically I was extremely curious! And was I superbly surprised! I don't think I'll go back to Mac & Cheese sans cauliflower anytime soon.
This recipe has got my wheels turning and itching to try some new and different Mac & Cheese recipes so STAY TUNED!
**Recipe Below from GOODFOOD**
Serves 3 | Calories 700 kcal per serving | Cook Time 45 mins
90 g Pancetta
200 g Macaroni
7 g Demi-glace (Chicken)
15 g All-purpose flour
200 ml 2% milk
100 g Grated Cheddar
Olive Oil & Butter
Salt & Pepper
1. Mise en place - Preheat oven to 450 F. Bring a large pot of salted water to boiling (on high). Cut cauliflower into bite-sized florets. Thinly slice the scallions, keeping greens & whites seperate. Small dice the pancetta.
2. Roast cauliflower - Place cauliflower florets on a baking sheet. Toss with a drizzle of olive oil and season with S&P. Place the baking sheet in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until golden brown and tender.
3. Cook macaroni - Add macaroni to pot of boiling water & cook, 7 to 8 minutes, or until al dente. Drain the pasta thoroughly and set aside.
4. Cook the pancetta - In a large pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil on medium until hot. Add the pancetta and scallion whites to the hot pan and cook, stirring occasionally for 4 to 6 minutes, until the pancetta is crispy. Transfer to a plate and discard the drippings.
5. Make the sauce - In same pan that cooked the pancetta, heat 2 tbsp of butter on medium. Once melted, sprinkle the flour into the butter and cook, whisking constantly for 1 to 2 minutes. Very slowly add the milk into the pan and whisk constantly until well combined. Add the demi-glace and bring the mixture to a simmer for 1 to 2 minutes, until thickened.
6. Final touches - Remove pan from heat and stir in the cheddar season with S&P and mix to combine. Stir the cooked macaroni, pancetta mixture, and 3/4 of roasted cauliflower into sheese sauce. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and top with remaining cauliflower. Transfer into oven to bake for 10 to 12 minutes - until bubbling!
7. Serve & Enjoy!! - Garnish with green parts of scallions and plate.