NUTRITION // x FLORIDA ORANGE JUICE - Versatility of a Classic
With my ever growing busy lifestyle, I have had to make a lot of changes to my daily routine, including my nutrition routine. Thankfully, one thing that hasn’t changed is my morning glass of Florida OJ because it’s such a simple delicious step that packs a nutritious punch + fits in just right with my quick paced lifestyle.
I’ve partnered up with Florida Orange Juice to share the delicious nutrition and health benefits of this rich orange drink.
The versatility of Florida OJ is the most helpful to me because it helps maximize my opportunities to obtain all the amazing nutrients it has to offer! Plus, the delicious taste and unique flavour of Florida OJ can’t be beat - it’s sweet, refreshing, empowering to all my senses!
As you may have heard before, Florida OJ is an excellent source of vitamin C! What does that mean for your body though? Well Vitamin C is important for the formation of collagen, which is a large component of bones, gums and cartilage. Yes, a Florida OJ can help with all that!
But that is not all! Something less commonly discussed is that Florida OJ is also a good source of potassium, which is important for muscle function, nerve transmission and helps maintain the body’s fluid, electrolyte and pH balance. So yes, a tasty glass of Florida OJ can definitely be your new best friend post-workout! Or you can add it to your favorite smoothie like the one below!
Something that my friends and family always ask me about is of course the sugar content in a glass of Florida OJ. When I began my career in Nutrition I started to notice more and more hesitation towards drinking juice because of all the added sugar and additives. Well, I’m here to clear the air - Florida OJ contains NO ADDED SUGAR. The sweet deliciousness that you taste is courtesy of nature’s goodness :)
One of the best things I love about Florida Orange Juice is how it can be used in so many different forms! I drink it straight as a glass of juice, and use it in smoothies, to bake and make the most delicious salad dressing (recipes below).
Here are my favorite recipes that feature Florida Orange Juice!
Orange Pineapple Ginger Smoothie + Colorful Orange Quinoa Salad
ORANGE PINEAPPLE GINGER SMOOTHIE:
- ½ cup Florida Orange Juice
- ½ cup Fresh Pineapple
- ½ Fresh Banana
- 1 Tbsp sliced ginger
- 3 regular ice cubes
- Put all ingredients in blender + start mixing!
- Enjoy :)
COLORFUL ORANGE QUINOA SALAD:
- ½ cup quinoa (*try cooking with Florida OJ for some added flavour!)
- 1 large orange, cut into segments
- ½ red or orange pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup frozen corn, boiled and drained
- ¼ red onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup Florida Orange Juice
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- salt/pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, add ½ cup quinoa + 1 ½ cup water (or Florida OJ). Set aside
- For vinaigrette, whisk together olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Florida Orange Juice, honey, and S+P
- In large bowl, combine quinoa, oranges, pepper, jalapeno pepper, black beans, corn, onion, and cilantro. Pour vinaigrette and gently toss
- Serve + Enjoy!